Wednesday, 23 January 2013


I can't seem to settle with my craft life at the moment. I'm bobbing about all over the place. As well as the usual, knitting, I've been spinning and sewing too! As I mentioned last week, I've been doing some embroidery. My dropcloth sampler arrived this morning; so I've got another project to add to the list.

I've got 3 socks finished at the moment, unfortunately none of them match each other! So I'd better get on and do the others.

I have got some finished objects to show you. I've been wanting to spin the fibre I got for Christmas, but I'm a starter/finisher so wanted to finish the fibre I already had on the wheel. However, it seemed to be taking forever. I'd intended for the merino to be sock weight but somehow, it ended up thinner than that and in the end I've drafted over 2km and plied it into a 1km 2ply. I've no idea how it ended up being that much and I'll have to find another project for it, as it's too thin for what I intended it for.

Here is the big pile of merino. It was a rainbow 100% merino mix from Wingham Woolworks. There's 2 skeins of 2ply, which adds up to approx. 1014m in 178g. I haven't checked my w.p.i. on it yet but it looks like a heavy laceweight. It's sometimes hard to capture the colours clearly and there are some really lovely inky blue hues. The last photo shows the dark colours the best.

I managed to get around to starting some of my HilltopCloud fibre. Here is 36g from my Frog Prince Batt, which is 80% Shetland, 10% Silk Noil and 10% Firestar. The batt is the little one at the back right in the photo. The handblended fibre club arrived last week too, so I've got even more to get through now. I won't post photos in case it spoils the surprise for anyone but here's my stash page if you want to peek.

I ended up with a 3ply with approx 132m/36g.

The silk noils added some extra texture, which should be interesting in the finished knit; though not sure what this will be for. Most probably in a colourwork project or a trim.

No comments:

Post a Comment