Wednesday, 24 July 2013

FO: Vitamin D

I have a finished object to show you. My Vitamin D cardigan. The pattern is by Heidi Kirramaier and it was very easy to follow. 

Turned hem - right side
Turned hem - right side

I did make one or two little alterations. The main one is the sleeve hems, which I changed from garter stitch to turned hems. I thought it would give it some weight and stop them from flipping up. I worked the sleeve until the length I wanted then purled one row. I switched to smaller needles and worked 6 rows and cast off. Finally, I sewed them down. I was really thrilled with how neat the sewing on the inside is. I lined up the cast off stitches with the ones  directly above it and used a whip stitch. I made sure the stitch was identical each time and I'm glad I put in that little extra effort.

Turned hem - wrong side
Turned hem - wrong side
I was really worried when it came off the needles as the garter hem was flipping and wonky. I normally don’t worry but the yarn has a very high proportion of acrylic and I wasn’t sure how well it would block. I'll be brave and show you pictures of me in my Vitamin D.

Before blocking

Before blocking


After blocking
After blocking
I didn't need to worry though as it blocked beautifully. 
The yarn is very unusual. It's Bergere de France Cabourg. The mix of acrylic and hemp makes a different texture - hard to describe but silky and prickly at the same time. I really liked it, it has a subtle sheen to it. 
Pity it’s a little too warm here at the moment to wear.

2 comments:

  1. I saw this on instagram this week and have just added it to my (vast) queue on Rav. Yours looks fab and I love the sleeve idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a lovely knit and really well written pattern. Though you have quite a few stitches on the needles by the end of it.

    ReplyDelete