Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Pop

I'm not sure why but this is a project that has languished about for quite some time. Looking at the project page on Ravelry, I started this all the way back in July! The pattern is Pop Spots by Juju Vail.

I whizzed through the spot part quite quickly and really enjoyed it, but the knitted on edge put me off a bit. I think it was because it's such a large shawl.


It's quite a combination of yarn. The background is a strand of Rowan Kidsilk Haze and Debbie Bliss Rialto Lace and the spot yarn is local indie dyed yarn by Chroma Yarns - Chroma Merino Silk Blend. The border is two strands of the Rialto Lace.


It's really quite a snuggly shawl, mixing the Kidsilk Haze with the Rialto Lace makes a lovely fabric.




Friday, 21 February 2014

Where There's Muck There's Brass

I've recently finished two pairs of socks.

The first was intended as a Christmas present for Mr but it's very hard to try and knit a pair of size 11 socks in secret and on a deadline, so it was after Christmas that they were finished.

His favourite colours are black and burnt orange together. So when I saw the yarn on The Knitting Goddess stand at Yarndale, it just had to be bought. The colour name is just great too, "Where There's Muck There's Brass".



The pattern is Paper Moon by AnneLena Mattison.  My ravelry project page. The pattern didn't go up large enough, so I had to alter it. The largest size went up to 70 sts, mine were 77 sts; I added the extra stitches within the garter stitch bands.

I worked them two at a time on circulars from the toe up. I'm a toe down kind of girl but I tried them for a change. Though I did manage to use up every yard of yarn this way, which definitely gets a tick in the pro column.

They look all wrinkled on the sock blockers, but they fit fine on Mr's feet.


The other pair of socks was for me. The pattern is Budleigh by Rachel Coopey. A beautiful pattern and I modified it to try and fit me better but I'm not hugely happy with the modifications.

The yarn is a pretty hand dyed sock yarn from Ring a Rosie at Whitley Bay (bought on holiday last year). The name for this is nice too, "Paddleboat on the Thames".



I cast on for the medium size and went down to the small size for the foot but I had to use the large heel to keep the sock in pattern. Perhaps there was a better way. It did fit well after I'd finished and I ended up re-doing the toes and taking an inch or so off the length. They fit a lot better now but they do look a bit stunt. At least I learnt how not to do something! I'm not sure the yarn is robust enough to wear with shoes all day long so they may be special occasion socks. Plus they're pretty and sparkly so they probably should be for parties anyway!




Monday, 17 February 2014

Archer's Paradox

I can finally show you my finished Follow Your Arrow shawl - pattern by Ysolda. For those that haven't taken part, it's a mystery knitalong. There has been a clue released each week for 5 weeks. Each clue has two choices. I've particularly enjoyed having a choice because there was bound to be a clue that I like more.

My Ravelry Project page.

I love garter stitch, so whenever that was part of the clue, I tended to choose that one.



My final choices were ABBAB. I used two different Eden Cottage Yarns for the shawl, which I bought from Woolfest, see this post.








I've really enjoyed this knitalong and think the finished design is lovely. 

Monday, 10 February 2014

Zuzu and Narwhal

Back to the knitting...

The photo of this has sat on my computer for awhile, been a bit too busy to blog recently.

 The pattern is Zuzu's Petals by Carina Spencer, which I made with some of my handspun, blogged originally here. Handspun Zuzu project page.

The yarn is faux cashmere, 18 w.p.i, 268m/100g. So from fibre...

to yarn...

To Zuzu's Petals.



It's a lovely idea, a small shawlette shape but worked as a cowl so it's not going to fall off. Another plus, is it doesn't take a lot of yarn.

I have a few projects on the go at the moment. I've been wanting some very warm mittens for awhile now. I thought some Fair Isle ones with a lining would do the job. Another handspun yarn project, I blogged about the yarn on the same post as the faux cashmere.

The pattern is Narwhal Mittens by Ysolda Teague. Handspun Narwhals project page.

I've completed one full mitten and the outer mitten for the other. They are sitting unknitted at the moment because other projects are taking priority; though if they sit much longer, then they will miss the winter entirely!



I made plastic templates to go inside the mitten and the thumb for blocking. I'm glad I did as it made the lining fit snuggly inside. I just have to find the time now to finish the other.

I have a Follow Your Arrow shawl by Ysolda Teague on the needles at the moment too. The final clue arrived this morning, so once it's finished I can show you that too.