Tuesday, 9 September 2014

Fine Donegal

This lovely shawl has just come off my needles. The yarn is a new one from Debbie BlissFine Donegal. The colour is Heather 10. I am absolutely in love with this yarn – I enjoyed knitting every bit of it. Ravelry Project Page

P1110319

I was in too much of a rush to start the shawl to take a photograph of the balls but they are lovely and big. I want to use the word dumpling to describe them for some reason. Fine Donegal is a 4ply weight yarn and it comes in 100g “dumplings”. It’s a single ply yarn and very reminiscent of Rowan Fine Tweed; however, it has 5% cashmere content which seems to have increased the strength of the yarn. The rest of the yarn is 95% wool. It feels soft and with nice body to it.

P1110328

The little flecks of tweed in the yarn are really beautiful. The shade I used was a heathery purple but with flecks of bright pink, green, blue etc. They are a similar tone to the main colour so they give the yarn a lovely depth of colour.

P1110340

The pattern is from the book that goes with the yarn – Fine Donegal. The pattern is rather uninspiringly called “Shawl with lace edging” but it’s a lovely pattern. The edging is worked separately from the main body (which was great TV knitting), then sewn on. The sewing was really easy as there is the same number of rows for the edging and the shawl, so I didn’t even need to pin.

P1110334

It blocked nicely too. It has an even softer handle now it’s blocked.

P1110341

It is quite a large shawl, which I imagine will make it lovely in cold weather.

P1110349

No comments:

Post a Comment