Day Four: Colour Review

"What are your favourite colours for knitted or crocheted projects. Have a think about what colours you seem to favour when yarn shopping and crafting."

"Only after writing this part of your post should you then actually look to see what colours you have used in your projects. Make a quick tally of what colours you have used in your projects over the past year and compare it to the colours you have written about. Compare this, in turn, to the colours that are most dominant in your yarn stash – do they correlate?"

"Now think back to your house animal - do the colours you have chosen relate to your animal in anyway - if you are in the house of peacock, for example, are your projects often multicoloured and bright?"

Colour... I think that's what draws me to knitting and why I like colourwork so much. Whenever, I look at a colour chart I always get drawn to blues and greens and I think this translates into what yarn I buy. I do like my mustard yellow though, especially with blue or green.

I like the lazy way of adding several colours with variegated yarns. I prefer the longer stretches of colour such as Zauberballs rather than the Fair Isle effect yarns. The Fair Isle effect yarns work beautifully for plain knitting but I don't often do much of that. For a long time, I was like a magpie with these sorts of yarns. More recently though, I like using solids or semi solids because they really do show the pattern better.

I wear a lot of navy blue, grey, brown and black but I can add that blast of colour with my knitting. I try to steer clear of really dark colours for knitting because it hides the texture of the pattern. Though it'd be fine for a plain stocking stitch or garter stitch pattern.

One range of colours, I really tend to steer clear of are pastel colours. Don't have a strong reason why, it's just they don't appeal to me as much as vibrant and bright colours. Thinking about it, I perhaps associate them with baby clothes; not that I use them for baby clothes either.

Here's a few recent projects that were made for myself in my favourite colours.








Projects 

Looking through my completed projects on Ravelry (there's a lot more but I don't always put them on), you can see that I've used a fair amount of variegated yarn (there isn't a html code for variegated (or at least not one that works on infogram, so excuse the dark blue) and then my blues and greens. I didn't think I had used as much red as I seem to have done, though a lot of those projects have been for other people. Not that I don't like red but it rarely seems to be my first choice. The other thing is I'd always say my favourite colour was blue but apparently it's green!! Though Mr's favourite is green - so maybe that's why it's pipped the blue.

Stash

Searching through my stash, I've only included full balls and only marked it once even if I have lots of the same yarn.

Blue and green at the top again, not a huge surprise. The variegated has slipped down a lot and most of that is  probably handspun from variegated roving or maybe an odd ball of sock yarn.

I seem to have a fair bit of pink, never thought I was much of a pink girl. None of it's baby pink though, hot and raspberry pink mainly.

The one ball of red is some I hand dyed, so I'm right in thinking I don't often buy it for myself. No black in the stash - black isn't hugely knitting friendly though. Very hard to see your knitting and spot mistakes.

I don't think my colour choices particularly relate to the House of Monkey; except maybe if my monkey was wearing a bright Fair Isle jumper. The blues/greens do relate more to House of Manatee though. Can I change Houses?


Comments